Find Out How Energy Fuels America
From: U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Public and Consumer Affairs,
Consumer and Public Liaison, Energy Information Administration.
Answers follow the questions.
- Microwave ovens are currently found in what percentage of all U.S.
- For which jobs are microwave ovens used most?
Defrosting frozen foods
- Almost all of us use ovens for cooking. What percentage are electric?
- How many gallons of hot water does the typical dishwasher use during a
- Ceiling fans are currently found in what percentage of U.S. homes?
10 to 15%
25 to 30%
50 to 55%
- Switching to fluorescent lighting can save consumers a lot of money. How
much money could Americans save collectively each year if we all made the switch
to efficient lighting?
$ 1 million
- Energy-efficient lighting can reduce home electricity demand up to what
- In a family of four, if each member takes one 10-minute shower a day using a
standard showerhead, how many gallons of water will the family use a year?
- How much does the typical family spend in a year to run its electric home
$100 to $300
$400 to $1,000
$1,100 to $1,500
- How many gallons of gasoline does a typical driver use each year?
- What percent of home heat is lost up an open chimney flue after a fire has
died in the fireplace.
- Industry consumes what percent of the total energy used in the United
- Which renewable energy source generates the most electricity?
- What energy source provides more than half of the electricity in the
- What is the nation's most plentiful energy source?
- Cooking meals
- 14 gallons
- 50 to 55%
- $750 million
- 73,000 gallons
- $400 to $1,000