George Sholin was a student just like you...even though he was considerably older than most of you.
George worked at the California Energy Commission as a student assistant from 1985 to 2005.
George retired (the first time) many years ago and went back to college in 1985 to work on a second Bachelor's Degree.
While at school he looked around for a part time job and found one working in the Energy Commission's Media and Public Communications Office.
He received his BA in journalism; then went on to work on and receive a Master's Degree in communications from California State University Sacramento.
He continued going to school, working on a doctorate (Ph.D) while still working part time at the Energy Commission as a student assistant.
George was a perennial "punster." He loved to make up jokes and word games, which he said help him to stay young.
He also loved crossword puzzles. He could do even the hardest New York Times crossword puzzles.
George passed away in October 2008 at the age of 93!
So, we thought it would be great to give you the best (or maybe it's the worst) of
We hope you enjoy them. Thank you, George!
By the way....If you have some favorite energy jokes or puns, write us and maybe we'll include them in the future right on this page! The address is:
California Energy Commission
Media and Public Communications Office
1516 Ninth Street, MS-29
Sacramento, CA 95814
Energy Jokes and Puns
- What would a barefooted man get if he steps on an electric wire?
(Answer) A pair of shocks.
- A silly old man is a fossil fool.
- A sun-tan lotion is a solar insulator.
- The foolish gardener planted a light bulb and thought he would get a power plant.
- A successful politician is a power transformer.
- Alaska's North Slope produces a lean mixture of fuel.
- Wind power is very popular because it has a lot of fans.
- A fuel cell is where the jail keeps gas guzzlers.
- George would rather slay a dragon than kill-a-watt.
- Cars driven late at night burn midnight oil.
- Worms that chew up electric wires are called electro-magnots.
- When the lights went out, Leroy re-fused to put the power back on.
- The aardvark didn't enjoy eating worms, but it couldn't resistance (resist-ants).
- Give me a home where electric buffalo roam, and I'll show you an "ohm" on the range.
- We had the floor re-surfaced, so the fluorescent (floor isn't) what it used to be.
- Have you heard about the nuclear physicist who went fission (fishing)?
- What would you call a power failure?
(Answer) A current event.
- A wise man knows what's watt.
- What's the best way to charge a car battery?
(Answer) With a credit card.
- Energizing electric cars is called a "charge of the Light Brigade."
- Who are the dynamic young people plugging into the Energy Quest Web Page?
(Answer) The Power Generation.